Sunday, September 21, 2008

Journey to Big D with Joe B

Joe "the nuts" and I headed to Shreveport this past weekend for a little work and play. Poker and Monday Night Football. Joe had been on me about going to some Cowboy games and I figured I better make a farewell tour for the final season at Texas Stadium. We thought about seeking out Kido Pham in one of the Dallas cash games but thought better of it and settled on the safer games at Eldorado in Shreveport.

Talk football first. The seats were great (better be) and the atmosphere was amazing. It was one of the most well played games by both teams I ever saw. It seems by the score that there wasnt much defense but other than a few big plays by both teams and 2 quick goofs by Romo everything was tightly contested. The offenses had to be perfect and earn every yard. In the end I didnt have to hear any smack from Philly fans. Im glad they can feel comfortable wearing Eagle jerseys in Dallas cause I know I couldnt go to Philly wearing Cowboy stuff which is ridiculous. Ive seen them(Philly fans) at Saints home games starting fist fights and cussing in front of familys without a care. Anyway Joe and I were seen on TV by some friends and family thanks to Joes loud ass shirt.

On the poker front, we called up Chris James who use to run a cardroom in Houma and now has one in Dallas. He said the club was not open tonight but would be Tues night, we headed back to Eldorado where we played Sunday and Tuesday night. I was utterly disgusted with myself for my session Sun night. I was up $800 in one of the tightest games Ive ever been in, Our table broke up and I moved to the half new full table. (by the way its all 1-2 nl there) I dont know what i was trying to accomplish other than I had been running so incredibly bad in previous sessions that I guess I was still chasing. As I sat down I was thinking ...You got a nice room,its midnight,you drove like 6 hours today, Joe Bueche cant keep you here all night, call it a nice win and go relax with your confidence back. But NO! I likey the poker. Long story short I bled 600 a hundo at a time. Cashed with a $200 profit and got in bed at 4am. Joe was up like 120 but never blew a big lead like I did. It felt like a loss.

Tuesday night had a better ending and I learned my lesson as I cashed up $900 and got out of there early. Really never made any monster hands which was the seemingly only way possible to make money over there. I got lucky as a guy who played like he hated money showed up late. I dont think I ever openly complained about a poker room being so tight but it was insane. Joe was even the first to complain to me about it and he was at a different table both nights. I was picking off 100 at a time from this guy who would bet or reraise from position to like $50 which was most of the time half his intial buy in. He was playing really fast and stupid and would talk about his hand every time. Only once that I remember he talked up his hand and told the guy to fold and he had a monster. One hand we were 6 handed and I raised to 20 from cutoff with A9 suited. He reraised 75 and had 75 left. Im playing with 5 or 600, I let him start talkin again as he tells me just let him have this one. I end up pushing all in (willing to gamble with this guy) and he calls, I hit air all the way as board went something like 7 10 j 5 Q and he says what he had been saying most the night "You Win". Really? I thought i was ahead even with my weak Ace but what the hell did he have? Two fairly big pots i won was with KK and AA. It had been a while since I done anthing significant with these hands, especially Kings. One of my last and best hands came against the wild villian and young dude next to me. Villian limps,young gun raises to 15 ,and I make it 35 with AA. Wild Villian calls (nice) as does young guy. Flop is 9s 7s 4c. Villian first to act who now has 300 in front checks as does Young gun. I make it $100 Franklins. what do you know wild man Moves all in and young gun calls his last 200. Out the gate I dont belive that flop hit them and i got young one on big pair. Villian starts yellin "i got you , i got two pair" I tell him "you dont have two pair" he tells me he will bet me 500 on the side. I called , villian wouldnt turn his hand over, the kid shows JJ turn brings 7c river Qh. Hold my breath a little as villian shakes his head and shows a Qc5c. Nice! LOL and thought that 7c was a good card for me. One more runner club and I was smoked. That guy was just so bad. He kept asking me why I made that call LOL.

1 comment:

C.S. said...

Nice. We'll get you up texan. As for the prime real estate it all has to do with the most recent post. Post a lot and you'll be at the top.